Cast Trivia - L. Scott Caldwell
- She was born Laverne Scott, but goes just by her first initial - L.
- She’s the middle of three children, and was raised in Chicago.
- In December 1984, she was hailing a cab in NYC when she was struck by a car. Her back was severely injured and she was unable to work for nearly two years.
- L’s first audition after her recovery was for the Broadway play Joe Turner’s Come and Gone. She got that role and went on to win a 1988 Best Actress Tony Award for it.
- She married John Caldwell in her early twenties, and had a son, named Ominara with him. They divorced in the early 1980s.
- She married Dasal Banks, an artist, photographer and director in 2004. They had planned on just going to Las Vegas for a quick wedding, but took advantage of L’s casting on Lost to wed in Hawaii.
- Rose and Bernard’s backstory is largely based on L and John’s relationship. She married John at an older age than most newlyweds, and knew that he had cancer. He passed away in 2005, after only a year of marriage. His ashes are scattered near their wedding location.
- She asked to avoid meeting Sam Anderson, who plays Bernard, before their season 2 reunion. When the characters spot each other on the beach, it was actually the first time the actors ever saw each other. L thought this would provide the most genuine emotion for the anticipated scene.
- Like most viewers, L was very surprised that Bernard wasn’t black. She’s said that she had been picturing a man similar to her own husband. However, she loves that producers went against this expectation.
“Rose was a character of faith, and I think she has a very positive energy. People respond to that. The kinds of lives we live, you want to escape into something that’s better than what we have. Having a character like Rose that’s always life-affirming, I think made an impact.”