Cast Trivia - Matthew Fox
- His middle name is Chandler. (sadly no relation to Bing)
- He was born in Pennsylvania and moved to Wyoming at a young age. His mom was a teacher; his father raised cattle and grew barley for beer companies. His parents were very strict; they didn’t even own a TV until Matthew was a teen.
- He is a descendant of a famous Union Army general, George Meade.
- He attended Columbia University on a football scholarship, where he was in a fraternity and worked loading flowers in New York’s Wholesale District. He also He also met Margherita Ronchi there, whom he married at age 26.
- After graduating with an economics degree, he applied for jobs selling stocks. However, Margherita’s mother was a modeling agent and convinced him to try it out. That lead to TV commercial roles, which sparked his passion for acting.
- He used to chew tobacco, but switched to cigarettes when he started modeling.
- He’s a talented photographer, as demonstrated in photos included on the Lost season 1 dvd.
- He auditioned for Sawyer on Lost, but producers quickly saw that he’d be a much better fit for Jack, and asked him to read for that character instead.
- He was nominated for a Teen Choice Award six times - all for his performance in Lost - but never won.
- While promoting the movie Vantage Point, he traveled to 9 countries within 3 weeks.
- His favorite musicians include Arcade Fire, Sigur Rós,John Harold Arnold Bramwell, Radiohead, Modest Mouse and The Black Angels.
- He was assistant executive producer for the show Designing Women in 1991.
- He didn’t learn to swim until he was 21.
- He’s called himself a Philadelphia Eagles fanatic.
- He is good friends with Green Day singer Billie Joe Armstrong.
- He told Playboy magazine that he lost his virginity at age 12 to a girl two years older than him with more experience. He said it was “absolutely terrible and awkward”, taking place “literally on the ground by a river while a rodeo was going on in town. Just two f——— kids lying down and pulling our pants down.” He also revealed that he had “plenty of sex” during his freshman year of college.
- At 6 foot, 2 inches, he’s marginally the tallest Lost cast member.
- He is a private pilot and owns a Beechcraft Bonanza G36 aircraft.
"Margherita and I have been best friends and best lovers. She’s the love of my life. We have managed to both be intensely independent and maintain that strength in our relationship. I am a man, and I am an appreciator of women.”
“I was a big hell-raiser, always doing crazy shit but always getting away with it. Wyoming is all about drinking and chasing girls, but it’s also such a big place and we lived in such a remote area that to get into trouble I normally stayed at a friend’s house 50, 60 miles away. My mom and dad never knew about much of what I did. But one time I got into serious shit with my old man when I was trying to grow weed in one of the farm buildings and he found it.”
(on Nikki and Paulo) “Those characters didn’t work for me from the very beginning. I was part of the camp that was like, ‘What? Huh?’ That was one of those experiments where the producers were like, ‘Can we suddenly introduce characters that were part of the crash victims but we’ve never seen them before, and have them become characters on the show?’ And the answer to that question is…no.”
"I don’t think they were ever seriously considering me for Sawyer. They were just using a Sawyer scene to audition guys they were interested in. The minute I did that Sawyer audition, though, they were like, ‘We think you’re Jack Shephard.’ I said, ‘Great, but I don’t have any fucking idea who Jack Shephard is because nobody’s read the script.’ ”
"I have absolutely no trouble taking my clothes off—never have, from the time I was a kid growing up in Wyoming. It’s fun to do something others think is outrageous. It’s fun just to watch people’s reactions."