Cast Trivia - Yunjin Kim
- She was born in Seoul, Korea, and immigrated to the US at age 10. She grew up in NYC and moved back to Korea in 1996 for 6 years of acting work.
- She’s a trained dance in many forms, including Ballet, Jazz, Afro-Caribbean and Peking Opera Dance.
- She also has combat training in Quarter Staff, Broad Sword and Tae Kwon Do.
- She was a Goodwill Ambassador for the 2002 World Cup in Japan and Korea, representing Korea.
- Yunin Kim’s first feature film beat Titanic to become the highest-selling movie in South Korean history.
- Due to her huge fame in Korea, she’s often been called the “Korean Julia Roberts”.
- The Lost producers were intrigued by Yunjin because of her background (being super famous in South Korea, then basically starting from scratch at US auditions). So they asked her to read for Kate, which was the only sizable female role already written. She wasn’t really being considered for the Kate role, but after meeting her in person, the producers decided to create the role of Sun (and eventually Jin) just for her.
- She was asked to audition for a role in Memoirs of Geisha, but refused it.
- She married her former manager in March 2010 on the island of Oahu, after shooting her final scenes of Lost.
- Not only does she share the name Kim with her TV husband Daniel Dae, but also with the actresses playing young Sun (Sophie) and Jin Yeon (Jaymie).
- She has said that she loves acting so much that she cannot imagine living without it.
- Her favorite scenes to play on Lost are the flashbacks or flashforwards.
- She is very attracted to British men, and has named Hugh Grant, Colin Ferrell and Daniel Craig as her biggest crushes.
- She’s called John Locke her favorite character.
- Her nickname in Korea is “Woman Warrior”.
- She’s said that her very favorite moment on Lost is when Jin first meets Sun.
- She avoids drinking alcohol, because she doesn’t have the enzymes to break it down. One drink will send her running to the bathroom.
- She initially disapproved of Sun and Jin’s characters, because she felt they were too stereotypical and false of Asian couples. But when the producers dropped hints that the couple wasn’t quite what they seemed in the pilot, Yunjin accepted the role. One thing she always knew was that Sun spoke English.
"I love chocolate. I love eating chocolate. I love ice cream, French fries - especially when I’m about to get my period!"
"As soon as I read the script, I knew that it was either going to be the best show or the worst ever. Like, ‘You’re on that weird show! On the island, a Fantasy Island type of thing.’ It was either going to be really good, or really bad."
"We were at this photo shoot one time and I lifted up my skirt and Evie was like, ‘Yunjin, what are you doing? That’s not you!’ She just didn’t expect me to do that."
"You have to treat Hollywood like it’s your boyfriend – he’s there all the time."
(on Sun’s potential baby daddies) “We have three. When reading the script, I didn’t even think of Michael, but a lot of the fans think it’s Michael. But Dominic wants to be one of them, because he kidnapped Sun for a day, remember? He’s like, ‘I think it’s my baby.’ “