Cast Trivia - Evangeline Lilly
- Her real first name is Nicole. Evangeline is her middle name.
- She almost drowned as a child, and was terrified of water for many years.
- Since she was a teen, Evie has been a fervent volunteer for childrens’ projects. She founded and ran a world development and human rights committee at the University of British Columbia, where she was a student.
- Early on the morning of December 21, 2006, a day before the Lost cast broke for Christmas vacation, her Hawaiin rental house in Hawaii was destroyed in a fire. Fortunately, she and her roommates were all away and they were no injuries. The original “dear Mr. Sawyer” letter was burned, since Evie took it home from the set.
- She worked as a flight attendant and waitress, and completed oil changes on big rigs while doing commercials and modeling to earn money for University.
- She lets her publicist send her to only one “big event/party” in Los Angeles a year.
- She briefly worked as a foreign missionary and lived in a grass hut in the Philippines. She was offered permanent missionary work there for two years, but declined due to her parents’ wishes.
- When Evie was cast on Lost, she didn’t have a US working visa. With production literally days away, casting directors were forced to grudgingly begin re-casting her role. The visa was finally approved after over 20 new auditions, though she arrived a day late to set.
- In 2003, she was in several commercials for a dating hot-line called “LiveLinks”. The late-night ads ran for over two years on basic cable channels, even after she made it big on Lost.
- She is known on set for being a tomboy, Christian, and a “potty mouth.”
- She has said that she “live[s] in a bubble” and is not familiar with much pop culture. She doesn’t even own a TV.
- According to a Lost producer, she carries a Bible with her at all times.
- Evangeline never passed her driving test. The only reason why she got her license was because the guy at the DMV thought she was cute.
- During an appearance on the Ellen DeGeneres Show, she accidentally crashed Ellen’s golf cart into the set and caused $10,000 worth of damage. She also drove her roommate’s truck into Lost’s craft services cart.
- And finally, she once hit a pedestrian with her car, but helanded on his feet and ran away. He refused to get help from Evie, and told her to stay away from him.
- One night, while doing some slightly drunken acrobatics outside a karaoke club, she accidentally smashed out one of her front teeth and now has a fake tooth.
- She was the only cast member to audition by sending in a tape.
- She has written two novels, as well as several short stories, poetry and screenplays. She hopes to soon publish a childrens’ book.
- She had says that she forgets things easily, like names and birth dates.
- Besides commercials, Lost was her first ever on-air speaking role.
"Over and over again, I’ve been called a walking oxymoron. I do things that you wouldn’t associate with a good little Christian girl. People say I’m half-boy, half-girl."
(on her Lost co-stars) “There are days when you want to thank them for being in your life, and there are days when you want to punch them in the face.”
(about Matthew Fox) “He is notorious for taking his clothes off and running around naked, usually around bodies of water. He’ll skinny-dip at any moment with anyone.”
"I actually use Neutrogena hand cream up my nose on a plane to prevent myself from getting sick."
(on Kate romancing Jack or Sawyer) “I’m not invested one way or the other. Matt and Josh are like my brothers. I love them, but I could never go there. It’s like if you had two [brothers] and had to decide which of them you’d like to [do].”