Cast Trivia - William Mapother
- He has a fairly famous older cousin - Tom Cruise! William’s father and Tom’s father are brothers. In fact, Cruise’s real last name is also Mapother.
- Before getting into acting, he was a high school English teacher in L.A. for 3 years. He has a B.A. in English from Notre Dame.
- He attended a Church of Scientology course in 1989, but is no longer affiliated with the Church.
- His favorite actor is Billy Murray.
- Starred in the 2008 film The Burrowers with Clancy Brown (Kelvin Inman) and Doug Hutchinson (Horace Goodspeed - Ethan’s father)
- He shares a birthday with L. Scott Caldwell and Henry Ian Cusick.
- He appeared in more Lost episodes after Ethan’s death than before it. (6 vs. 5)
(on a being a huge fan of Lost) “It is a little bit odd for me to be participating in something and helping to create something that I also so much enjoy as an observer. Like, seeing yourself on the screen in an episode, I’m like “Get the hell off of there, Mapother! Let’s let the other guys do their jobs so you can enjoy the show!” That’s kind of the way I feel when my character comes on screen. In a way, it intrudes on my fandom. It’s a very funny thing, to watch an episode with me. I cringe and I cheer and I yell. It’s very fun.”
(on Lost fans being scared to meet him) “It’s only funny to me because, you know, I’m in my own skin and I’m not a violent, angry person. My friends and family say, ‘How do you play those sorts of roles?’ It’s only amusing that I can have that sort of effect on people.”
(on Ethan’s creepy facial expression when the survivors discover that he wasn’t on the plane) “I have no clue as to the source of that look. When I saw it on screen, I creeped myself. Lighting and story context helped a lot, of course. As the first non-survivor, Mary Poppins would’ve had a bit of creep to her. We shot my expression and performance many different ways, and I couldn’t have bet which they’d choose. They picked Creepy #2, I think. A fine vintage, apparently.”