Cast Trivia - Dominic Monaghan
- He was born and raised in Berlin, and still speaks fluent German
- He moved to Manchester, England when he was 12 - the same place Charlie is from. That’s when he picked up the English accent.
- He’s owned a leaf-mantis named Gizmo, a Black Widow spider named Witchitar and an albino snake named Blink.
- Previous jobs included sorting mail at a post office, working in British Home Stores and cooking as a saute chef.
- Like Charlie, he often writes on his hands.
- He plays guitar and is known for his musical knowledge. His favorite musicians include: the Beatles, Radiohead, Coldplay, Interpol, the Smiths, Imogen Heap, Keane, Kasabian, Thom Yorke, and Corinne Bailey Rae.
- He once ran away from Paul McCartney at an Oscar party out of fear of having a potentially disappointing encounter with “the closest thing to what I see as a deity.”
- He is also a passionate environmentalist and animal rights supporter. He bought a small forest in India in early 2003 to protect it from deforestation, and appeared in a PETA ad.
- He initially auditioned for Sawyer. However, the creators decided to change the cast of Charlie, originally a washed-up ’80s musician in his mid-’40s, to fit Dominic.
- In the early days of Lost, the producers vowed never to kill Charlie, though Dominic was skeptical of the idea that “anyone’s really indestructible on this show”. In a May 2007 podcast, Dominic revealed that he didn’t mind the idea of his character dying, expressing a desire to avoid being defined by the “Charlie” role and a belief that the relationships he’d forged during Lost would outlast his time on the show. Following Charlie’s death, Dominic explained that he wanted to “move on”, having grown frustrated with Charlie’s less prominent role following season 1.
"I’d love to play a gangster but I think people might say I looked a bit too young and cheeky to play a character who’d just blown someones head off!”
"If I could uninvent anything, I would uninvent Hitler’s mum, guns and broccoli."
“I don’t believe in underwear. I think it crushes your artistic integrity.”
“Obviously, the characters have no real showering system on the island. I think I’ve only changed clothing like, three times on the island. We’re stinky, but we live with it. It’s part of the charm of the Lost cast. You bring visitors on set, and they’re very excited to see everyone - until they get within three or four feet. Then they realize we all stink.”